Thursday, September 1, 2011
I can't take those beautiful food pictures yet, I am lazy and my camera kind of sucks. But this turkey was really good.
1 turkey- ours was around 15 pounds
1 Head Garlic
Instructions for turkey:
1. Take your turkey, remove the giblets and set aside. dry turkey.
2. Rub the turkey with a generous amount of kosher salt( i used three tablespoons for the entire turkey)
3. Let sit for at least an hour in the fridge
4. Remove turkey from fridge, insert a bunch of fresh thyme and fresh sage into the turkeys ....cavity. Preheat oven to 450 F.
5. Take butter(1 stick) and rub all around between the breast and the skin, make a little pocket for it.
6. break up garlic cloves and place on the turkey breast.
7. Add turkey to roasting pan, to the pan add 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of wine
8. Drizzle olive oil over turkey to aid in browning and crisping.
9. Insert turkey into oven
10. cook until internal temperature is around 180( it took two and a half hours for us) in the thigh meat
11. remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before pouring off juices
Instructions for gravy:
After the bird is done cooking let it rest for 10 minutes
Pour off pan drippings.
Pan drippings are your gravy, no flour/cornstarch needed.